Mine Waste and Tailings Management
Many of the everyday products we enjoy contain minerals, and the demand for these raw materials continues to grow. However, mineral extraction generates tailings and waste that mining operators must manage responsibly to minimize the environmental impact of their operations while ensuring the safety of neighbouring communities.
How can you successfully fulfill your regulatory and social obligations without eating away at your profit margins? It’s important to be aware of the real costs associated with your mine waste and tailings, and to ensure their rigorous planning and management.
Your challenges are complex…
Understanding the full cost of managing your tailings can help you identify sources of considerable savings and profitability. Your goal is to find technical solutions that are both practical and economical so you can dispose of your tailings, whether solid or liquid, while respecting regulations related to your area of activity. There are various factors to consider when choosing solutions, such as the distance tailings must travel before disposing of it.
- Identify and manage long-term tailings risks
- Minimize the impact of tailings ponds on ecosystems
- Optimize your mine tailings management
- Respect regulations
Our team can help!
Thanks to years of experience helping mining operators increase their operational performance, our experts can offer you effective management solutions for mine waste—tailings, waste rock, overburden—as well as sludge and contaminated water.
We plan, establish and implement each project in a safe and cost-effective manner based on high quality standards. We also provide support for mine rehabilitation, restoration, closure and monitoring.
- Location selection and variant analysis
- Financial and environmental feasibility studies (Chapter 18 and 20, NI 43-101)
- Strategic and operational mine waste management plans
- Water management plans
- Deposition plans for waste or tailings (conventional, filtered or in paste)
- Compliance inspections and examinations for infrastructures
- Dam risk assessment
- Emergency plans
- Dam design and construction
- Design and construction of waste water drainage and treatment solutions
- Technology selection for waste treatment
FIELDS OF EXPERTISE
- Soil and rock mechanics
- Augmented reality 3D and 4D video production
- Bulk material handling
- Geotechnical engineering
- Water management
- Mine site closure
- Dams, dikes and retention structures
- Engineering and environmental standards
- Hydrologic and hydraulic modelling
- Civil engineering in the mining environment
START A PROJECT WITH BBA
Across the country, our experts can
help you tackle your greatest challenges.