In an industrial setting, an MES architecture takes its place right below ERP systems and supports planning and execution of the entire production process.
When it comes to implementing the MES, we can suggest two types of design:
Depending on the short- or medium-term vision, a system that addresses immediate issues would be recommended.
For a long-term vision, it would be wiser to choose a scalable system.
Keep in mind that scalable systems can most likely expand to meet everchanging market demands.
Advantages of an MES
An MES acts as a dashboard that facilitates a highly structured decision-making process. In terms of advantages, integration of a MES will allow you to:
- Standardize operations and processes: This is the key to implementing best practices across an organization.
- Measure production rates consistently: Comparisons with other units within an organization must be made on the same basis. Implementing an MES means putting in place uniform criteria needed to measure productivity consistently.
- Eliminate manual data entry on paper forms: When a digital data entry system is implemented, manual paper entry can quickly be eliminated and errors from double manual entry can be avoided. In addition, these steps will help transform your operations and empower your workforce.
- Make decisions in real-time: When the infrastructure is automated and the information is available on a common platform, business decisions based on multiple data factors can be made faster and with greater confidence.
- Implement production scheduling in real-time: When a piece of equipment is under maintenance, the team can see the status of all the machines. Furthermore, they will be able to reassign production to other equipment to meet scheduling demands.
Where to start?
If you already have a production tracking system, we can help you evaluate your system and your current data. It would be advisable to analyze all of your system’s components to prioritize and maximize your return on investment.
BBA experts often suggest that the first step be a digital maturity diagnostic, also known as an Industry 4.0 audit. This would be followed by a functional analysis of the production processes you want to improve.
You can also choose to launch a pilot project that will entail using certain MES modules to digitize one or more parts of your unit’s activities or of a process.
Please contact us so you can begin implementing an MES without delay. Our team can guide and help you make the best decisions for an optimal return on your investment.
 McKinsey Study. Digital manufacturing: The revolution will be virtualized. Visit: https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/operations/our-insights/digital-manufacturing-the-revolution-will-be-virtualized#
 Overall equipment effectiveness.
 Enterprise Resource Planning is a system that can be used to manage a company’s major processes.