Pulp, papers and wood fibres
As a true pillar of the Canadian economy, the forestry industry represents a significant portion of our national exports. Solid lumber, particle board, biomaterials, biochemicals, biofuels, pulp and paper—forests provide us with a vast range of products.
New products are also emerging, presenting diversified business opportunities for logging companies. These new offerings include sugar and lignin, which are made of converted wood chips, and biomaterials such as nanocrystals and cellulose filaments.
In order to take advantage of market opportunities and ensure business continuity, it’s critical for industries to focus on solutions and technologies that will optimize every aspect of their operations.
Your challenges are complex…
You must comply with a wide range of health, safety and environmental standards and regulations, whether they’re NFPA standards (combustible dusts), the CSA Z462 standard (arc flashes), environmental standards (waste water) or air quality regulations.
Additionally, in order to increase productivity and optimize investments, you have no choice but to extend the useful life of your infrastructure (mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and control). In some cases, you’ll need to replace certain equipment to make room for new technology.
- Replace and upgrade aging facilities
- Integrate new technologies
- Improve productivity with automation, advanced control and alarm management solutions
- Consider new sources of energy and ensure the stability of your power grid
- Manage risks associated with combustible dust
- Properly control air emissions and reduce your environmental footprint
Our team can help!
Our clients in the pulp and paper industry enjoy turnkey support at every stage, from diagnosis and strategic planning to environmental monitoring management and implementation.
Having completed a significant number of pulp, paper and wood fibre mandates, our multidisciplinary experts have the know-how to ensure your operational excellence with tailor-made solutions.
- Electrical facilities (specialized studies in power grids, transmission and distribution)
- Implementation of a Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
- Ancillary systems (pumping and hydraulic piping systems, compression and vacuum technology—compressed air and various gases—thermal power plants, industrial ventilation, cooling production, waste treatment, and recovery)
- Operational safety (What if?, HAZOP, FMEA, SIL, machine safety)
- Risk management and mitigation associated with combustible dust and arc flashes
- Automation, control systems and alarm management
- Environmental impact assessments, authorization and permit applications
- Biomass combustion systems (wood pellets)
- Telecommunications solutions
START A PROJECT WITH BBA
Across the country, our experts can
help you tackle your greatest challenges.